Every blog deserves a good tagline . . . you know, that great line of text that seems to sum up what your blog is about in approximately ten words or less. Often, a tagline is the first thing you really notice when you visit a blog for the first time. Sometimes, it helps us make the choice of whether to stick around and read more, or move on.
I did some surfing through blogland recently, and tried to compile a list of random taglines. Here they are, in no particular order:
- Musings of a Mom of 3
- The Unholy Marriage of Blogging and Writing
- A Conservative’s View of the World from the Heartland
- An Ordinary Layperson Stumbles Toward Sainthood
- I’ll be here the rest of the week
- Everytime I try to go where I really want to be, It’s already where I am
- I am a girl in college that thoroughly enjoys music, friends, and Disneyland
- Promulgations on a life spent in graduate school
- Prepare to be Educated and Entertained!
So if these were the taglines of blogs you were visiting, which ones would make you say, “Hmm. I’d like to know more” and which ones would have you clicking your “Back” button?
Taglines have a function – – they are the welcome mat of your blog. So, it is important to create a tagline that makes new readers want to stick around and get to know you and your blog a little better.
To find out just what makes a strong and effective tagline, and many other tips and tricks that will make your new blog attractive to readers, why not sign up for our eight-week blog writing course, Blogging 101? This course will guide you step-by-step through the process of creating, designing, writing, and building traffic for a blog that is all your own.
Or if you feel you aren’t ready to jump into blogging with both feet, you might want to try out our free Blogging Pre-Course, to help you get comfortable with the terminology and basics of blogging. That way, when you are ready to create your own tagline, you will already be way ahead of the game!